Monday 18 February 2008

Logo




Today we played with Logo during ICT. It was not as exciting as I imagined. In a day where things move and flash to capture peoples (especially children's) interest, this was a very ordinary product. I can see its educational uses but at what age would you introduce it to children? Personally it lost my interest within 20 mins and I am meant to be a grown adult, what about the attention spans of primary school pupils? To me this was not very child friendly and I prefer to use the funky bee bots with yonger primary and roamers with older children.


The Wikipedia says:
Logo is a computer programming language used for functional programming. It is an easier to read adaptation and dialect of the Lisp language; some have called it "Lisp without the parentheses." It was created for educational use, more so for constructivist teaching, by Daniel G. Bobrow, Wally Feurzeig and Seymour Papert. Today, it is known mainly for its "turtle graphics", but it also has significant facilities for handling lists, files, I/O, and recursion. Logo can be used to teach most computer science concepts

No comments: